Apparent sandhi irregularities in the Bhagavad Gita

Charles Wikner WIKNER at NACDH4.NAC.AC.ZA
Wed Feb 24 06:27:32 UTC 1999

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Dermot Killingley wrote:

> > Verse 10.41 "tejoMzasambhavan".
>
> This is also insignificant, but for a different reason. There is
> considerable variation in practice with avagraha. It's treated as
> an aid to the reader rather than an integral part of the text, which
> explains why some people use it where word-initial "a" is elided
> after word-final "A".
>
> But in the interests of consistency, I'd advise you to keep the
> avagraha in the above line in your edition.

Presumably that is transliterated as "tejo'Mzasambhavan".
However, two editions to hand that have the avagraha
(Sargeant, Sastry), have the bindu above the "jo" rather
than the avagraha.  Although this makes no difference to
the sound, is it in fact a typo (it seems odd to append
an anusvAra to an avagraha), or is it correct (in which
case the transliteration is asymmetrical).  Any offers?

Regards, Charles.