Kashmir, Tamilnadu, Panini, Abhinavagupta, etc.

Narayan S. Raja raja at IFA.HAWAII.EDU
Mon Feb 22 10:48:18 UTC 1999

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Venkatraman Iyer wrote:

> raja writes:
>
> > Repeat: the evidence must show that
> >  **Potikai/Potiyil** (not merely the
> >  unidentified "Po-to-lo-chia") was a
> >  very important Buddhist site.  It
> >  is welcome to be an important Saivite
> >  center as well.  But it MUST be a
> >  very important BUDDHIST site.

>  I do not know if you are following the discussion.  Please review
>  Ganesan's posts on February 2 and 18. Evidence has been presented
>  already that points to Hsuan-tsang and Chih-sheng believing that
>  Potalaka was located in the Malaya mountains of the Pandya country.
>  The Potalaka description of Hsuan-tsang matches the description of
>  Potiyil. Obviously, they considered it an  important Buddhist site
>  at that time. (In any case, you cannot expect Hsuan-tsang
>  to say that the Potalaka mountain is so many miles from Ambasamudram
>  or Tenkasi railway station. :-))

A site that Buddhists
believed to be Potalaka
(comparable in importance
for Buddhists, to Kailasam or
Vaikuntam for Hindus) is likely
to have abundant archaeological/
literary/historical evidence
that it was an important
Buddhist site.

In T.N., such evidence is available even
for relatively less important Buddhist
centers like Kanchipuram or Nagapattinam.
My question: is there such evidence
from Potiyil?

Instead, if all we have is one comment
from a foreign visitor, who never