Kashmir, Tamilnadu, Panini, Abhinavagupta, etc.

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.DOT.NET.IN
Sun Feb 21 17:36:02 UTC 1999

At 10:45 AM 2/21/99 +0100, Petr Mares wrote:
>Dear Colleagues
>
>There is a strange coincidence that relates La.NkAvatAra and
>Ma~Nju/SrImUlakalpa. They are both very different from the bulk of
>MahAyAna sUtras and very special is their ending. La.NkAvatAra
>(in the Tibetan translation) ends with the word meaning
>yathAlabdam. It is very unussual for the MahAyAna work as I know
>and it is same ending as in Ma~Nju/SrImUlakalpa (Trivandrum
>Sanskrit Series, 1925). The only other sUtra I know of that end with
>this phrase is GaNdavyUha.
>
>Does anybody know more about the history of
>Ma~Nju/SrImUlakalpa?
>I heard that Nanjio used for his edition manuscript of La.NkAvatAra
>in Malayalam, does anybody know the details?
>Is there any manuscript of La.NkAvatAra in other South Indian
>scripts?

Perhaps the word is "yathA labdhaM". It can be the comment by a scribe
saying that he has copied whatever has come to his hands. This may
imply that that the scribe does not believe either what ha has got is the
full text or what he has got is the correct text. This just a guess
I am making for whatever it is worth.

> From the later half of the 5th century to the first half of the sixth
century there were Pallava coquests of earstwhile Buddhist regions of
Andhra and they vandalised Buddhist sites like nAgArjunakoMDa. Perhaps they
destroyed Buddhist literature also. In such a case such a comment by the
scribe will be meaningful.

regards,

sarma.