Kashmir, Tamilnadu, Panini, Abhinavagupta, etc.

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 17 16:32:10 UTC 1999

>Are there any Sanskrit Buddhist manuscript in the India proper over
>1000 years old? ( I do not mean Gandhara, Kashmir, Khotan Nepal
>or Tibet)???

  Not really. Must be very rare. Some are in Nepal, acc. to
  Prof. Witzel

>We have translation in the received version, but do we have
>manuscripts, that is the QUESTION. I do not doubt the AGE but
>the CONTENT in its DETAILS.

  Avalokitezvara in Mt. Potalaka from GaNDavyUha sUtra
  is there in earliest Chinese translations of Gv.
  Also, Gv. Sanskrit editions by David Suzuki and in 1960s
  edition collating several mss. by P. L. Vaidya.

  In 800 AD, Borobudur depicts Gv. well; So, by then
  we have a crystallized version of Gv.

  So, I am not in search of Gv. mss; What is available
  from Chinese and Sanskrit is more than sufficient
  for my purposes.

  Regards
  N. Ganesan

  PS: What you are giving as Sanskrit does not appear to
  be chaste Sanskrit. Hope the future critical edition is OK. -NG