Reference check on line of Bhagavad Gita. Variation or errata

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 16 08:55:32 UTC 1999

The sanskrit text of the Bhagavad Gita reproduced by J.A.B. Van Buitenen
in  "The Bhagavadgita in the Mahabharata" is reportedly taken from  S.K.
Belvalkar ed., bhiSmaparvan (1) (fascicule 15) (Poona:Bhandarkar
Oriental Research Institute, 1947) pp. 74-203.

In Van Buitenen's book the last line of verse 28 is (I'm transliterating
in HK convention):

dRSTvemAn svajanAn kRSNa yuyutsUn samavasthitAn ||

In all the other sources I've checked: Radhakrishnan, Winthrop Sargeant,
Swami Tapasyananda, Divine Life Society, Gita Press, Warrier, Dr.
Shakuntala Rao Sastri, they all have:

dRSTvemaM svajanaM kRSNa yuyutsuM samupasthitam ||

Does anyone know if the line in Van Buitenen's book is an accurate
rendition of the BORI critical edition? Is this a genuine variation or
errata?

Many thanks

Harry Spier