Word splitting & hyphenation conventions in roman transliteration

U Hayavadana hayavadana at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 13 19:55:49 UTC 1999

At 10:46 12.02.99 -1000, you wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, U Hayavadana wrote:
>
>> yes: it will make literacy easier to achieve,
>
>Perhaps you could explain why literacy
>is easier to achieve using the Roman script
>rather than any other script?

because there are only 26 letters in the roman alphabet and there are no
ligatures (samyuktakshara's). because printing technology in a linear
script (one letter next to another) is much more simply implemented and
we can use the technology that is already developed for western
languages (like standardised computer and printing equipment), and so
producing printed materials becomes easier. this is an important
advantage if we want to spread literacy among many millions of people.

and once a person has learned one written indian language, s/he can
quickly learn a lot of others (become literate in other languages too)
on the basis of the large number of sanskrit words in all the languages
that can be immediately recognised because there is no script barrier.

>You might also help us by explaining the
>discrepancies in the following tables of
>literacy rates,
>[...deleted...]

did i say that script is the only factor in successfully spreading
literacy? no.