Word splitting & hyphenation conventions in roman transliteration

michael witzel witzel at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Feb 10 18:10:33 UTC 1999

Dominik, I agree with your sentiments in both cases, but:

> All India Roman script will boost interstate and international trade
>> and communications.
>
>Great idea.  Will you do it, or shall I?

The idea actually was that of the great ("National Prof.") Suniti Kumar
Chatterji who in 1947 spirit thought Roman Indic would serve the country
best.
His alphabet was similar to the Kyoto-Harvard convention, -- and for
similar reasons: no extra characters needed in print shops.

>Oh, and while we're about it, let's make everyone speak English, since
>other languages are just a nuisance.

And many unfortunately disappear by the day : the world-isolate Kusunda in
Nepal is gone, what about the future of the equally isolated Nahali in C.
India, Burushaski in Hunza (new book by H Berger, 1998!), etc.? ... Not to
speak of others.  Urgent research targets.

Michael Witzel

DEPARTMENT OF SANSKRIT AND INDIAN STUDIES
HARVARD UNIVERSITY
2 DIVINITY AVENUE
CAMBRIDGE, MA  02138, U.S.A.

(617) 495-3295   FAX:  (617) 496-8571