The Fodder of First causes

Martin Gansten Martin.Gansten at TEOL.LU.SE
Thu Dec 23 21:21:13 UTC 1999

>Can one say simply that as Isvara has independence, his amsa (the jiva),
>also has independence, though limited in expression, and if jiva uses his
>free will to choose to oppose the Isvara, his samsaric existence begins, and
>when he gives up his rebellion, his samsaric existence ends?

Assuming that we are still talking of the Vedantic tradition, such a tenet
(involving a sa-aadi-samsaara) would seem very difficult to uphold in the
face of Brahmasutra 2.1.35: na karmaavibhaagaad iti cen naanaaditvaat. In
fact, I don't think I have heard of any school of Indian philosophy
accepting a 'beginning to samsaric existence'. Have you?

Regards,
Martin Gansten