Madhva

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at BIGFOOT.DE
Wed Dec 22 19:04:57 UTC 1999

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 11:57:32 -0500, Ramakrishnan
Balasubramanian wrote:

> But RamanujAchArya accepts that it is possible for the souls to get
> out of transmigration by the proper means, i.e., the grace of
> Narayana, the supreme God. I am aware that there are some doctrinal
> differences regarding this grace between the vaDakaLai and tenkaLai
> schools, but both admit that no soul is apriori forbidden from
> achieving salvation. Only some may take more time than others.

BNK Sharma (_The Philosophy of Sri Madhvacarya_, Delhi 1991, p.
295) claims that a section among the followers of Raamaanuja
recognised the existence of nityasa.msaarins, and he quotes from
Vedaantade;sika's Tattvamuktaakalaapa: "iha sayuuthyaa.h, pare ca
kecid aahu.h ita.h puurvam iva pa;scaad api kecit na mok.syante",
which seems a good indication that some souls never attain mok.sa
("some will not be liberated later either, as earlier"). Sharma
supposes that those "saayuuthyaa.h" are the Tengalai Srivaisnavas,
and he says: "There is no reference in the writings of _modern
scholars on Indian Philosophy,_ to the acceptance of this peculiar
position regarding the classification of Souls in the ancient tradition
of the Vi;si.s.taadvaita school itself." (sic; p. 304 f. 2). I don't have
Vedaantade;sika's text at my disposal to check who those "kecid
[aahu.h]" are. Can anyone shed light on this?

RZ