Madhva

Martin Gansten Martin.Gansten at TEOL.LU.SE
Wed Dec 22 20:47:01 UTC 1999

>BNK Sharma (_The Philosophy of Sri Madhvacarya_, Delhi 1991, p.
>295) claims that a section among the followers of Raamaanuja
>recognised the existence of nityasa.msaarins, and he quotes from
>Vedaantade;sika's Tattvamuktaakalaapa: "iha sayuuthyaa.h, pare ca
>kecid aahu.h ita.h puurvam iva pa;scaad api kecit na mok.syante" ...
>I don't have
>Vedaantade;sika's text at my disposal to check who those "kecid
>[aahu.h]" are. Can anyone shed light on this?

I don't have the TMK either, but SMS Chari in his 'Fundamentals of
Visistadvaita Vedanta' (based on the TMK) quotes the same passage, stating
that 'This view is held by a section of Visistadvaitins and Madhvas'.
Desika refutes it, however, and I doubt that one could find much in
Ramanuja's writings to support a nityasamsaarin doctrine.

Regards,
Martin Gansten