ThirujnAnasampandar and JainAs

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 10 13:25:42 UTC 1999

Thank you for citing a Tamizh source on Sri Sundara Pandya. Since I have
been collecting information on pre-Samkara vedantins, I always look forward
to information from Tamizh texts.

However, Sundara Pandya could not have been after Bhagvatpada Samkaracharya
because the latter quotes the former. At the end of his Adhyasa Bhashya
(Brahamsutra 1.1.4), he quotes 2 verses which are said to be the compisition
of Sundara Pandya by
1. Narasimhasvarupa in the Prabodhaparisodhini tika on the Pancapaadika of
Sri Padmapada
2. Kalpataru of Amalananda

These two verses and 1 more are cited by Madhava in his commentary on the
Suta Samhita of the Skanda Purana as from the Varttika of Sundara Pandya.

One of these verses are identified as the composition of Sri Sundara Pandya
by some Purva Mimamsa works as well. Plus, the identity of the king
'converted' by Sri Jnanasambandhar as being Sri Sundara Pandya is doubted by
some. Please read Post # 471 in June 1999 archives for details and
references.

Regards

Vishal