Munda kinship pattern

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 5 17:34:11 UTC 1999

----Original Message Follows----
From: "N. Ganesan" <naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject: Re: Munda kinship pattern
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 07:18:06 PST

NG: Of course, the dharmashastras which are several centuries *late*
treat them as exceptions.
VA: But the Baudhayana Dharmasutra mentions this as one of the 5 evil
customs **prevelant** in the SOUTH (and gives another list of 5 evil customs
prevelant in the North). So, as early as the period of this Dharmasutra, the
custom had distinct 'Dakshinapatha' associations.
Of course, as others have pointed out, there are regions in the Himalayas
and the Terai where Polyandry etc. still prevail (And I know that from
personal experience as well, although the custom is fading rapidy in
Garhwal).
There are similar strange/regional customs in other parts of India like the
'Satu-pitu' ("I marry your sister and you marry mine") of Gujarati Patels,
evolved out of circumstances peculiar to that region.

The only cases of cross-cousin and niece-Uncle marraiges from the Deccan I
know are all from Brahmin (and 1 Vaishya) families. Therefore, I would be
interested in knowing if such practices exist amongst other castes as well.

Those from the plains of N. India would agree with me that the permission
for *inter-cousin* marraiges amongst Muslims are one of the reasons why
Hindus of this area often 'look down upon' the Muslims.

Best wishes

Vishal Agarwal
15300- 37th Avenue N #A103
Plymouth, MN 55446