wrong word?

Chris Eade chris.eade at ANUGPO.ANU.EDU.AU
Mon Aug 30 12:29:31 UTC 1999

Excuse my not using diacritics. I think you will understand me anyway.
        In Epigraphia Carnatica, vol. iv 676, the translation fails to render
        "pushkal - amsa"
and simply leaves the word in italic.
        Now, "-amsa" here is clearly the same word as in tri-amsa or
nav-amsa, the astrological "division" of a rasi (sign of the zodiac) into
threes or into nines. So what is a pushkal - amsa?
        M-W 639a has "pushkala" which means merely "much, many", which
would give us "many-division". But M-W 638c has "pushkara" which has a much
more interesting meaning, one that involves a whole group of nakshatras.
        My question, then, is this: do you think that in reading Kannada
script it would be easy for someone (original author, epigraphist, series
editor) to supplant the interesting word pushkara[-amsa] by the bland word
pushkala[-amsa]?