Brahman origin myths

Nikhil Rao marpally_n_p at YAHOO.COM
Sat Aug 21 22:11:18 UTC 1999

The same story about prathamashakhi brahmins holds good
in maharashtra, karnataka and tamil nad too. While it is applied to
brahmins of the shukla yajur school, I am not sure whether it applies
to both the kanva and madhyandina sub schools. Atleast in Maharashtra,
there exist followers of both the schools. Whereas in the southern
states, only followers of the kanviya shakha exist. (If the meaning of
prathamashakhi is taken literally then it should apply to the
madhyandina school, since madhyandina is supposed to be the
first/foremost disciple of sage yagnavalkya ?)

Nikhil