Source of a Validating Principle in Sanskrit Grammar

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Wed Aug 4 20:02:52 UTC 1999

This principle is used explicitly for the first time by Kaiya.ta in his
commentary Pradiipa on the Mahaabhaa.sya (Motilal Banarsidass edn., Vol.
I, Sec. I, p. 217, 1967, on Panini 1.1.29).  Two of my articles relevant
for this principle are :

        Evolution of the notion of praamaa.nya in the Paninian tradition,
Histoire Epistemologie Langage, Tome XX, Fasc 1, 1998, Paris, pp. 5-28.

        Who inspired Panini?  Reconstructing the Hindu and Buddhist
Counter-claims, JAOS, Vol. 117, Number 3, July-September 1997.

        Best,
                                        Madhav Deshpande