Rules for dates of observance of Indian Holidays

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 3 06:56:55 UTC 1999

Dear list members:

I am trying to obtain the rules for the dates of observance of the following
list of Hindu holidays.  The type of information I need is similar to the
following examples as given to me by Anand Hudli in a private e-mail:

1) ShivarAtri is to be observed on that day when the 14th tithi of dark
fortnight of the month of Maagha prevails at the nishItha kaala (midnight).

2) sankashhTa chaturthi (in honor of Ganesha) is to be observed
during any month when the fourth tithi of the dark half of the
month prevails during moonrise.

3)ekAdashii The 10th tithi should have ended at least 1 hour 36 minutes
before sunrise on the day when the fast is observed. And if the 12th tithi
prevails at the time of two consecutive sunrises, the
fast should be observed on the second day.

ETC.

The list of holidays I require the information on is as follows:
Makara Sankranti, Ganesha Jayanti, Vasant Panchami, Rathasaptami,
Shivaratri, Holi, Dhuli Vandan, Tukaram Beej
Ranga Panchami, Ekanath Shashthi, Gudhi Padva, Ram Navami,
Hanuman Jayanti, Shivaji Jayanti, Akshaya Tritiya,
Shankaracharya Jayanti, Gangotpatti, Asadha Ekadashi
Guru Purnima, Namdev punyatithi, Nagpanchami
Rakhi day, Krishna Birthday, Gopalkala
Ganesha Chaturthi, Anant Chaturdashi, Pitra Paksha start
Pitra Paksha end, Navaratri start, Navaratri Saraswati puja
Navaratri Lakshmi puja, Navaratri Durgashtami
Dassera, Vijaya Dashami, Sharad Purnima
Kojagiri Purnima , Tukaram's Punyatithi,Govatsa Dvadashi
Dhanteras, Narak Chaturdashi, Diwali
Kartika Ekadashi, Tulasi Vivaha Samapta
Vaikuntha Chaturdashi, End of Chaturmasi
Tripura Purnima, Jnaneshwar's Punyatithi
Dev Diwali, Skanda Shashthi, Gita Jayanti

If any members can give me the rules for any of the above it would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Harry