Senerat Paranavitana

Prof. Peter Schalk peter.schalk at RELHIST.UU.SE
Tue Apr 27 14:35:50 UTC 1999

To put an end to the discussion about Paranavitana's dissertation I can
give the following facts. His dissertation is in the Instituut Kern in
Leiden in The Netherlands. I just hold the original copy in my hand which
is typed, 101 pages. Its title is THE STUPA IN CEYLON. An enclosed page
says:

PROEFSCHRIFT TER VERKRIJGING VAN DEN GRAAD VAN DOCTOR IN DEN LTTEREN EN
WIJSBEGEERTE AAN DE RIJSKUNIVERSITEIT TE LEIDEN, OP GEZAG VAN DEN RECTOR
MAGNIFICUS DR. J VAN DER HOEVE, HOOGLEERAAR IN DE FAKULTEIT DER
GENEESKUNDE, VOOR DE FACULTEiT DER LETTEREN EN WIJSBEGEERTE TE VERDEDIGEN
OP DONDERDAG 8 APRIL 1937, DES NAMIDDAGS TE 4 UUR DOOR SENERAT
PARANAVITANA, GEBOREN TE GALLE (CEYLON).

In the PREFACE, he thanks A M Hocart, A H Longhurst and J Ph Vogel. About
the latter he says: "I feel, indeed, very fortunate in having had my
manuscript coiticised(sic!) by such a leading authority on Indian
Archaeology as prof. J Ph. Vogel, who has suggested many improvements and
removed numerous blemishes."

Those who wish to read this dissertation in the version I hold in my hands
will get difficulties, because it exists only in a few copies, but the
revised version of it, published in Lanka, is available in every good
university library.

Peter Schalk, Uppsala, Leiden.