Julian Jaynes Society

Aditya Mishra a018967t at BC.SEFLIN.ORG
Mon Apr 26 02:38:58 UTC 1999

Have you heard about this author?
At least, I had not, till last week when some one told me about him but
now I am excited about it that I want to share it with you.

It seems that he had a theory about religious experiences that is
supported by the latest research as shown in the following reference.
Although his research was based mostly on the western religious text but
in my view, they apply equally well to the Indian religious texts.

If you want more references you can do a search on the internet or send
me an email to send you results of my recent search.

I am sure that most of you will enjoy reading and discussing what he has
to say and apply it to your interests or research areas.

Articles related to Jaynes' bicameral mind and related theories:

                   Religion: Is It All In Your Head?
                   Talan, Jamie
                   Psychology Today, 1998, April, Vol. 31 (2): 9
                   Vilayanur Ramachandran, M.D., a neurologist, believes
that somewhere in the brain's
                   temporal lobes there may be neural circuitry for
religious experience; he points to the fact that
                   about 25 percent of patients with temporal lobe
epilepsy are obsessed with religion. He
                   thinks that these patients' seizures caused damage to
the pathway that connects two areas of
                   the brain: the one that recognizes sensory
information and the one that gives such information
                   emotional context.

--

Have a peaceful and joyous day.
©1998 Aditya Mishra