Tripitaka of the Vipassana Research Institute

Michael Pahlke pahlke at UNI-HAMBURG.DE
Wed Apr 21 09:18:08 UTC 1999

Because access to other Versions of the Tripitaka is limited in Nepal,
it is most convinient for me to use the Tripitaka published since 1993
by the "Vipassana Research Institute" (Igatpuri), which belongs to the
vipassana movement of Sri Goenka. This edition reproduces the version
decided upon at the Sixth Council held 1954 at Rangoon, i.e. the
so-called "Burmese" or "Chattha-Sangayana" Version.

Since the edition does regrettably not note alternative readings, I
would be grateful for informed opinion on the following two points:

1) As a general tendency, how to rate the readings of the Burmese
edition from the perspective of higher textul criticism?
2) How reliable does the Tripitaka edition published by the "Vipassana
Research
Institute" reproduce the Burmese edition. I.e. how frequent are typos?
Have readings anywhere by changed on purpose?

A last question in this respect, again for someone well acuainted with
Tripitaka edition published by the "Vipassana Research Institute". :
On p. [xviii] of the first volume (Dighanikaya, part 1), the editors
state that their edition has been cross-referenced with that of the PTS.
I fail, however, to find any reference to the pagination of the PTS
edition in the running text of the Tripitaka edition published by the
"Vipassana Research Institute". Is there a "trick" which has eluded me?

Any help with the above querries would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Alexander v. Rospatt                      Tel.: 00-977-1-271018
Nepal Research Center                         Fax:  00-977-1-474463
PO Box 180
Kathmandu, Nepal