The elephant naLagiri/nalagiri

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 14 13:54:05 UTC 1999

> the tradition does not derive naaraaya.na from nara-.  It derives
>the word naaraaya.na from the word naaraa (f. 'water', cf.
>aapo naaraa iti proktaa.h) by adding ayana.

 Vishnu sleeps usually in the Ocean of Milk, how do we reconcile this?

>         Also the meaning 'black' for nala- is not known in its Sanskrit
> usage.

Is it because nala is a Dravidian word not understood in IA?
They might have taken it as reed. But hard to explain nAlAgiri with reeds.
In A.P., nalla (<naL-) malai mountains (Black mountain) are there from which
River Krishna flows. Tamil Perungkathai has an elephant called
naLagiri.

Thanks,
SM