bhakti- etc

H. Mark Hubey HubeyH at MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU
Sat Apr 10 18:22:29 UTC 1999

Yaroslav V. Vassilkov wrote:

> Dear Mark,
>         sorry, but I fail to see any historico-semantic or phonetic
> correlation between Turkic *bogha*, *bugha*, *buga* - and Iranian / Slavic
> derivatives of IE *bhag. Or the Mordovian *pas /paz/ pavas* (< Volgo-Permian
> *paghas < IIr *bhagas). If you mean that common Russian / Slavic *bog- is to
> be traced to Turkic *bogha*, I can not agree with you, because this Turkic

The word could have made its way into Turkic very long ago. The question
is
one of too many coincidences. The bull is still very important among the
Parsis, and the cow is still important in the Hindi religion. There is
a semantic and phonological match. "wealth" could easily come from "god"
in the form of "blessed with goods". The bull could easily be
transformed
into a symbol of fertility even for crops in primitive agricultural
societies
and obviously would be important for pastoral communities especially if
they were cow-herders.

> word has really been borrowed into (Southern) Russian and Ukranian, but in
> the form of *bugaj* 'bull', which is phonetically quite correct. But the word
> *bog could never represent Turkic *bogha / bugha / buga, while it reflects quite
> correctly Iranian *bhaga* >*bag/a/.* (Slavic *o* regularly corresponds to
> Iranian *a*). What is equally important (besides phonetic similiarity /
> identity of Slavic and IIr words) is full coincidence of all aspects of
> their meaning, their "semantic field" (in both cases "lot; share; good luck,
> happiness; god of good luck/destiny; god in general").

It could have easily been borrowed back or even back and forth. We still
don't know if many of the cognate words in IE are mostly diffusion back
and forth between languages or come from the earliest *PIE protoform.

--
Best Regards,
Mark