History of Debate

Nik Macleod nik.macleod at CHADWYCK.CO.UK
Fri Apr 9 08:39:10 UTC 1999

As I understand it, Vasubandhu's master Buddhamitra (or Manoratha according
to Hiuan-Tsang - excuse my transliteration) was defeated in debate by the
Saa.mkhya teacher Vindhyavaasin. On Vasubandhu's return from Kashmir, where
he had been studying the Vaibhaa"sika system, he wrote a treatise called
Paramaarthasaptati refuting the Saa.mkhya views.

Santi, Nik Macleod

-----Original Message-----
From: nanda chandran [mailto:vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM]
Sent: 08 April 1999 22:52
To: INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK
Subject: History of Debate

Does anyone have any information on the debate which was supposed to
have been waged between the guru of VAsubandhu and Ishvara KrishnA,
the author of the SAmkhya KArikAs. It's also said that it was Ishvara
Krishna who triumphed.

And how valid is the identification of Ishvara Krishna with the great
SamskrutaM poet KAlidhAsa?