zAnta rasa

Benjamin Fleming cheapies at CABLER.CABLEREGINA.COM
Fri Apr 2 23:03:53 UTC 1999

Look to Anandavardhana's "Dhvanyaloka"- here the system of rasa is based on
eight standard rasas coming from the ancient text Bharatiyanatyasastra
(date??). From the Dhavanyaloca, which did not focus on rasa per se (it was
concerned with dhvani or suggestion), Abhinavagupta developed the addition
of a ninth, santarasa, which allowed aesthetics to be linked to the highest
religious experience.  Such a link was not evident in Anandavardhana's work.
b. Fleming