avajja

Royce Wiles Royce.Wiles at ANU.EDU.AU
Mon Sep 7 03:46:38 UTC 1998

>The AMg dictionary says that at Pra"snavyaakara.nasuutra 2.4 (Bombay
>Agamodaya-samiti, 1919) appears the word avajja = Skt. avadya. I am
>interested in this because the normal MIA equivalent seems to be vajja.
>Seth's Pkt. dictionary cites Suuyaga.da.mgasutta II.2.65 as containing the
>word avajja, but actually in the Jaina Agama Series para 713 = p. 280.14
>the reading is vajjabahuula. Does the word avajja actually occur in AMg?
>
>Thanks for any help from someone who may have access to the edition

Consulting the Alpaparicitasaiddhantasabdakosa (v. 1):

avajjaM                  avadyam, pApaM [Visesavasyakasutra 1317,
Avasyakasutra 364]
avajjapa.dicchanno       avadyapraticchanna.h, pApapracchAdita.h
[Avasyakasutra 537]
avajjabhIru              avadyabhIru.h, sAdhu.h [Oghaniryukti 224]

The relevant editions are:

1 Visesavasyaka / HaragovindadAsa-BecaradAsAbhyAm sa.msodhita.
                        Benares 1911-14.

2 Avasyaka / [Anandasagara]. Mehasana : Agamodaya Samiti, 1915-1916.

Reprinted as
Avasyakaniryukti. Mumbai : Sri Bherulala Kanaiyalal Kothari Dharmika
Trasta, 1981 or 1982. 2 v.

3       Oghaniryukti. Mehesana : Agamodaya Samiti, 1919.

Sorry Jonathan but I don't have access to the Agamodaya Samiti edition here.