Relationship Between Temple Architecture and Cosmology

Michael Rabe mrabe at ARTIC.EDU
Mon Oct 26 11:11:44 UTC 1998

Not wishing to be cantankerous, but still, a drop of cold-water-factuality
never hurts long:

The "Kailasanath" in Kanchi is never called that in its own, extensive
inscriptions--it was actually, and obsessively, named with the
titles/birudas of its royal patron, Rajasimha Narasimhavarman II (c.
690-728).

And [my old friend] Charles Collins has never set foot on Elephanta island.
In otherwords, one needs special caution when it comes to armchair
philosophizing.