Dates of Utpaladeva

Raffaele Torella torella at AXRMA.UNIROMA1.IT
Thu Oct 22 21:40:34 UTC 1998

>As I don't have the pertinent library-resources available at the moment,
>could someone please fill me in on the current state of research
>regarding the dates of Utpaladeva and Abhinavagupta (esp. the former)?
>
>My most recent source of reference (Torella's 1994 edition of the
>I'svarapratyabhij~naakaarikaa) states 900/925-950/975 for Utpaladeva.
>
>Many thanks in advance,
>

>--
>birgit kellner
>department for indian philosophy
>hiroshima university

Utpaladeva's date mainly depends on Abhinavagupta's. Fortunately, the
latter was kind enough to put a (reliable) date at the end of his
I'svarapratyabhij~naa-vivrtivimarsini, which is likely to be one of his
last works. The date is 1015 A.D.(with the usual fluctuation of some
months). Utpaladeva is Abhinava's paramaguru.

With best wishes,
Raffaele Torella

Raffaele Torella,
Dipartimento di Studi Orientali