"The Tale of the Indo-European Horse Sacrifices"

Frances Pritchett fp7 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Oct 22 11:54:45 UTC 1998

I've heard the Hindi/Urdu counterpart as

naach na aave aaNgan TeRH

This is a neat proverb because you can read it two ways:

If you don't know how to dance, you contrive an alibi by falsely blaming
the "crookedness" of the courtyard.  (I think this is the more obvious
meaning.)

If you don't know how to dance, your clumsiness makes you truly experience
the courtyard as one that IS crooked.

Or maybe I am just over-reading it... :)