upasargavazena dhaatvarthavipari.naamaat

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Wed Oct 7 14:15:04 UTC 1998

> From the emails from Elliot Stern and Cardona, it is clear that the
corresponding verse in Kau.n.dabha.t.ta's works is not from Kumaarila.  We
do not yet know its source.  However, I noticed that the second edition of
Abhyankar and Shukla's Dictionary of Sanskrit Grammar cites this verse
under the word Upasarga with the reading that is found in the
Madhyaantavibhaaga.tiikaa, without citing a reference for it.  I doubt
that Abhyankar and Shukla are citing this verse from this Buddhist
commentary.  The verse probably has undergone some transformations, but
its history is not clear at the moment.
                                        Madhav Deshpande