Aids to the study of Shankaracharya

Alberto Pelissero pelisser at CISI.UNITO.IT
Fri Nov 27 13:27:13 UTC 1998

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, K. S. Arjunwadkar wrote:

> Nov 26, 1998
>
> Dear Members,
> I have been studying and teaching works of the great Shankaracharya for
> more than four decades. During all these years I have felt that two kinds
> of aids would be extremely helpful to those who study Shankaracharya
> seriously:
> (1) A Dictionary of all important words in his philosophical works
> explaining them on the basis of their use in his works with full references
> to the texts; (cp. A Dictionary of Sanskrit Grammar by K. V. Abhyankar et al)
> (2) An anthology of select passages from his works, accompanied by their
> English translation, as a direct introduction to his philosophy.
> I do not know if any scholar of Shankara has thought or worked in this
> direction.
> Can any member enlighten me on this point?
> Regards.
> KSA

As for point 2) You can refer to: Anthony J. Alston, *A /SaMkara Source
Book*, 6 volls., Shanti Sadan, London 1986-1993 (I am not sure about the
dates of publication). The passages are all translated into English, and
no original sankrit is quoted. The reference edition is Gita Press
unless otherwise specified. The volumes are thematical, one being derived
to the polemic with rival schools, another to the concept of the soul, and
so on. As far as I know Alston is a pupil of Hari Prasad Shastri.
Best regards,

 Alberto Pelissero