learning Sanskrit

K. S. Arjunwadkar panini at PN2.VSNL.NET.IN
Sat Nov 21 02:56:31 UTC 1998

At 10:01 AM 11/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I am trying to find a book which will enable me to learn Sanskrit well
>enough that I can read our scriptures without much need for translation. In
>other words, I would want to interpret them myself. I have studied 5 years
>of Sanskrit from grade 6 to 10th but have now forgotten most of it. Can
>anyone judge from my level which book will be best suited to learn Sanskrit
>or do I have to take instructions by enrolling in a school ? I would
>appreciate any help.
>
>Ashish Chandra

Nov 21, 98

Dear Member,
I recommend the following aid for your renewed study of Sanskrit.

Sanskrit: An Easy Introduction to an Enchanting Language
By Dr. Ashok Aklujkar (University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada)

The self-sufficient book is divided into four volumes, supplemented by
audio tapes, and priced at US $ 70 for the set. For copies, you can contact

Svadhyaya Publications
5346 Opal Place
Richmond, B. C., Canada V7C 5B4

Best wishes.