SV: learning Sanskrit

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Fri Nov 20 16:36:41 UTC 1998

You may find Maurer's book on Skt very useful.

Walter Harding Maurer: The Sanskrit Language. An Introductory Grammar and Reader. Curzon Press.

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19
Fax:      +47 22 32 12 19
Email: lmfosse at online.no

----------
Fra:    Ashish Chandra[SMTP:achandra at WNMAIL.WNDEV.ATT.COM]
Svar til:       Indology
Sendt:  20. november 1998 16:01
Til:    INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK
Emne:   learning Sanskrit

I am trying to find a book which will enable me to learn Sanskrit well
enough that I can read our scriptures without much need for translation. In
other words, I would want to interpret them myself. I have studied 5 years
of Sanskrit from grade 6 to 10th but have now forgotten most of it. Can
anyone judge from my level which book will be best suited to learn Sanskrit
or do I have to take instructions by enrolling in a school ? I would
appreciate any help.

Ashish Chandra