Where will I get Purana books in original Sanskrit?

Shikaripura Harihareswara HOYSALA at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Fri Nov 20 06:03:18 UTC 1998

Krishna Susarla Wrote:------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 18 Nov 1998 12:30:44 -0600
From:    Krishna Susarla <krishna at TICNET.COM>
Subject: Venkateshwara Press

Does anyone know how I might obtain the Venkateshwara Press editions of the
Puraanas in the original Sanskrit? These are the versions which the
translators in the "Ancient Indian Tradition and Mythology" series used for
their translations. Unfortunately, their publications are English only;
hence I'm looking for the Sanskrit versions which they used.

thanks in advance,

-- Krishna Susarla

p.s. I am actually planning a trip to India next summer, so if the only way
to get them is through bookstores over there, I would very much appreciate
some names and addresses.

-------Hari's reply:-----------------------
Dear Krishna,
1   If you are interested in the famous
     Sri Venkateshawara Steam Press,
     the address is:
         Khemaraja Krishnadas Marg,
          Khethavadi, Mumbai - 400 004
         Phone: no. 385 7456

         66, Hadpasar Industrial Estate,
         Pune  411 013, Maharashtra
         Phone: 671 025

         They have branches in Kalyan (Maharashtra), Varanasi (UP) and Delhi.
2   I have their 1997 catalogue which lists a few Maha - & Upa-puranas in the
     original & with commentary.
3   Another good source for Sanskrit originals of Puranas is-
     Chaukhamba Samskrutha PrathishThAna of Varanasi.
     Chaukhamba Vidyabhavan,
     Chauk (Behind Banaras State Bank Building)
     P O Box 1069, Varanasi 221 001 (Uttara Pradesha)
     Phone: 320 40

     They have branches in Delhi, and other places, In Delhi:
      38  U A , Jawahar Nagar, Bunglow Road,
      Delhi 110 007  Phone: 236 391
4    Their catalogue, that I have, lists almost all Mahapuranas like -
      Agni, Kurma, Garuda, Narada, Padma, Brahma, Brahmavaivartha,
      Brahmanda, Bhavishya, Matsya, Markandeya, Linga, Vamana,
      Varaha, Vishnu, Shiva, Skanda, Vayu and a few upa-puranas
      in Sanskrit with / without commentary in Hindi.
5    Nag Publications, 11 A/ U.A. Javahar Nagar, Delhi 110 007
     also have quite a few Puranas in Sanskrit original.
6   If you live in USA, say in Philadelphia area, you may
     even contact/ go & visit:
     Nataraj Books, Publisher & Distributor of South Asian
     Books. I have their catalogue listing quite a few major
     Puranas in Sanskrit with Introduction Edited by Naga Sharan Singh.
    Address: 7073 Brookfield Plaza, Springfield, VA 22150
    eMail: <nataraj at mail.erols.com>   Phone: (703) 455 - 4996
7   Another source, I buy books from is:
     South Asia Books, PO Box 502, Columbia MO 65205
     Phone: (314)474-0116
8   Motilal Banarasidas, 41-UA Bunglow Road, Jawahar Nagar,
     Delhi - 110 007  Phone: 291 1989; 291 8335, 252 4826
     have many branches in all major cities in India.
     You will get help from them.They have helped me in the past.
9   Last - believe me there are quite a few, but this is enough, now -
     Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers,
     54 Rani Jhansi Raod, New Delhi 110 055
Good Luck!
Sincerely,
-Harihareswara
PS:
Please do not blame me, if the address/phone number has
since been changed!