The ending

S Krishna mahadevasiva at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 13 22:20:24 UTC 1998

My thanks to everybody who has responded to my question about "Amma". I
however do have a further question:

I wrote:

>> ( examples I know mainly consist of the ending "kr*SNamA" as
>> in the names kr*SNamA-cAri,( there is also the name kr*SNACAri, which
makes me think that the name "kr*SNamAcAri is from kr*SNamA and not
kr*SNa),

to which Mani Varadarajan writes:

>The name kRshNamAcAri comes from the words kRshNam + AcArya,
>not kRshNamA. There is no female element here.  In Tamil,
>male names ending in 'n' are often changed to end in 'm' --
>hence rAmAnujan is also said and seen as rAmAnujam.  kRshNan
>becomes kRshNam and with the "AcArya" honorific, the name
>becomes kRshNamAcArya/kRshNamAcAri.

Sure, I can see how it works but then what I cannot understand is since
rAmAnujan becomes rAmanujam, then shoouldn't we have names like
rAmanujamAcArya( as well as rAmAnujAcAraya)? What is special about
kr*SNa(m) that you have kr*SNamAcArya as well as kr*SNAcArya?

I would also like to mention here the *sectarian* difference in the
name: Most krS*NamAcAryas are zrIvaiSNava ; most kr*SNAcAryAs are
mAdhva( consequently, the later seems to be common in Karnataka but is
rare in Andhra Pradesh and Tamil NAdu). And from the responses I've
seen, the phenomenon of male names ending in "amma" seems to be common
in Andhra Pradesh but is less common elsewhere..
So, is the name kR*SNamAcArya originally from the Telugu speaking areas?

Regards and thanking you for your help,
Krishna