Paired Horse and PIE breakup

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Sat Nov 7 20:12:45 UTC 1998

N. Ganesan wrote:

>  I was really surprised to read P. K. Manansala's
> writing in Indology list earlier that
> "...,but I don't recall the horse as a particularly important
> symbol in the Greek, Roman, Persian or Celtic mythology
> I have seen. ..." All my readings indicate the
> opposite: Horse played a unique, important role in
> IE religion and culture. For eg., horses and Aryans
> go hand in hand in the Vedas.

Yes, but could you address the cultures I mention above. I agree that
horses are fairly important in the Vedas, and also in later Indian
religion.

My knowledge of European and Iranian mythology and ritual is limited to
a few university courses and some personal reading (like Dumezeil,
Campbell, _The Golden Bough_, etc.).

I don't recall the prominence of horses in these mythologies, although
they do exist. The horse played a great role in the ritual of Altaic and
certain Uralic peoples though.

> For the record, I don't believe in Computers just
> skipping language groups and reaching others.
> My cousins work for Microsoft and IBM in India.
> They tell me their gurus are American (some may
> be India born Americans). Just as Buddhism and Islam
> also did not hop over to other lands from
> the lands of their birth.

Yes, but it doesn't involve any significant migrations of the
originating culture (whichever that is) to the places now using
computers. Just as Marco Polo presumbaly brought technology regarding
gunpowder, the printing press, the mechanical clock and so on to the
West, ideas can be carried without the need for population movements.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala