Paired Horse and PIE breakup

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Sat Nov 7 20:12:32 UTC 1998

H.M.Hubey wrote:

> Miguel Carrasquer Vidal wrote:
> >

> > But what has Turkic *e:r, *erkek to do with PIE *wi:ros, or with
> > Herodotus' "oior"?
>
> Word like /ar/ also shows up (I think in Nilo-Saharan) for 'man', or
> 'people'. Words like /il/el/al/ or even /ur/ura/ etc also show up for
> 'land', 'people', settlement, etc so this is probably a very old word.

Yes, you have the Sumerian "ur" and even in Southeast Asia and the
Pacific you have words like uru, ari, aru, uran, oran, etc. for "man,
people."

> > -(ng)iz at the end, and the wrong meaning).  I don't care too much
> > for the etymology of "Caucasus", but the river names are surely
> > Iranian.  Forget about <deniz> and just look at Ossetian <don>
> > "water, river"...
>
> Yes, Ossetian 'don' is water. But we'd have to see it in many other IE
> languages don't you think?

Again in Austronesian you have dan, dano, danum, tano for "water," and
"tunu" for "left-over water."  In Sumerian, "tin" means "liquid."

I think this illustrates how difficult it is to make theories based on
limited numbers of words without any reliable examples of morphology or
phonology.