SV: method of dating RV, III

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at WXS.NL
Tue Nov 3 07:03:02 UTC 1998

Vidhyanath Rao <vidynath at MATH.OHIO-STATE.EDU> wrote:

>I know little about cuniform and depend on transliterations. But I
>guess the point is that other words that are from I-Ir/IA relating to
>Mittani (such personal names or -wartana in the Kikkuli text)
>show no such loss of w/v.

Yes.  From what I have seen, they tend to show w/v = cuneiform <b>.

>[I wrote]
>> > If we put IE speakers in the
>> >Caspian-Aral area in 3000 BCE, shouldn't we expect some of them to
>> >turn up in points south before 2500 BCE?
>>
>> Possibly.  But how would we know?
>
>We won't, unless centum traces in Bangani turn out be real :-)

Ah yes, I had completly forgotten about (Pre-)Bangani.  That might
indicate IE speakers at an even earlier date (Tocharians preceded
Indo-Iranians into Central Asia).  Has anybody ever tried to read the
IVC script as Tocharian :-) ?

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam