Announcement: CSX+ fonts for the Macintosh

John Smith jds10 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Mon Nov 2 14:21:50 UTC 1998

In the Summer of this year I built a set of high-quality freeware fonts
implementing the CSX+ (enhanced CSX) encoding: there are CSX+ versions of
Times, Helvetica, Courier, Palatino and New Century Schoolbook. Conversion
from PC to Macintosh format presents problems, and so I produced only the
Times fonts in Mac versions; what is more, I ran into unexplained
technical problems which prevented me from grouping them as a proper font
"family", allowing one to switch simply between the Roman, Italic, Bold
and Bold-Italic faces.

Peter Haunert kindly volunteered to make Mac versions of all the fonts,
and these are now available (except for Courier, which will follow in a
few weeks). I believe that he has also solved the font-family problem, so
even those who have already downloaded the earlier version of Times may
now prefer to acquire the new one.

These new Mac fonts -- and their PC equivalents -- are available from my
website: connect to http://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/index.html and follow
the "fonts" link.

John Smith

Dr J. D. Smith                *  jds10 at cam.ac.uk
Faculty of Oriental Studies   *  Tel. 01223 335140 (Switchboard 01223 335106)
Sidgwick Avenue               *  Fax  01223 335110
Cambridge CB3 9DA             *  http://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/index.html