SV: method of dating RV, III

Vidhyanath Rao vidynath at MATH.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Mon Nov 2 18:49:18 UTC 1998

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal <mcv at WXS.NL> wrote:

>[regarding w]

I know little about cuniform and depend on transliterations. But I
guess the point is that other words that are from I-Ir/IA relating to
Mittani (such personal names or -wartana in the Kikkuli text)
show no such loss of w/v.

Diakonoff wants to see Yama in urvana, via Iranian urvan, soul.
This can be waved away pointing out that in Vedas, Varuna is also
connected to death. But the claim that Mittanis were specificaly IA
becomes weaker. That is all I was trying to point out.

[I wrote]
> > If we put IE speakers in the
> >Caspian-Aral area in 3000 BCE, shouldn't we expect some of them to
> >turn up in points south before 2500 BCE?
>
> Possibly.  But how would we know?

We won't, unless centum traces in Bangani turn out be real :-)

-Nath