Kannada vacanas

Dr Shivamurthy Swamiji swamiji at GIASBG01.VSNL.NET.IN
Fri May 29 14:09:44 UTC 1998

S Krishna writes:
<<IS it mere coicidence that none of
the participants in the kannaDa vacana thread all are non-Kannada?
(That; when you see Kannada sounding-looking names on the list...)
It is a pity that due to lack of participation by KAnnadigas/Kannada
scholars matters have to be resolved by looking up texts whose origins
are far removed from Karnataka instead of refering to local texts...>>

Well, here you find one of them. I am a native of Karnataka speaking Kannada and familiar with the Vacana literature both academically and by religious faith. I looked into this thread of Kannada Vacanas rather very late because of some technical problems to access my e-mail. Here is my response to various issues raised in this interesting discussion.

<<"kUDalasangamadEva" thing...is there any difference between kuDala,
 and kUDala  since both versions appear in basava's "vacanas"..Doesn't
he also refer to "kUDala" by some other variant? What is the
significance of these variants?>>

The correct word form in Kannada is "kUDala" only and not "kuDala".  The latter must be a printer's devil in the Vacana book you are referring to.  There are other words like "kUDali" or "kUDalu" in usage but certainly not "kuDala" (with 'ku' as hrasva)

The other varients of the name of the deity is "kUDalasanga", "sanga" or "sangama-naatha".  All these varients are used by Basavanna in his Vacanas. No special meaning be attached to these varients.  They are just the short forms of the name of one and the same deity.

Dr Shivamurthy Swamiji
Sri Taralabalu Jagadguru Brihanmath   * Taralabalu Kendra
Sirigere - 577 541, Karnataka, India     * 3rd Main Road, 2nd Block
Email: swamiji at giasbg01.vsnl.net.in     * RT Nagar, Bangalore - 560 032

.
<<Alas: behold the result, on the one hand, of excessive modesty on the
part of Kannada people in publicising their treasures, and, on the other
hand, of limited inquisitiveness to date in the scholarly community>>.

Yep, couldn't agree with you more....IS it mere coicidence that none of