Shani names

jayabarathi barathi at PC.JARING.MY
Thu May 28 22:56:31 UTC 1998

At 02:10 PM 5/28/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I am trying to understand the following three names of
>Shani (Saturn).  Several popular editions containing
>the names have the same forms for each name.  I would greatly appreciate
>any help in understanding these names.
>The names are given in the dative case.
>
>8.  sura.mvandyaaya
>The anusvaara may be just a mark in the printing in one
>book but then also appears in others. Should it be suravandya, "The One fit
>to be worshipped by suras"?

        Dear Sir,

                Probably doubts have arisen because SanaiScara
        is always regarded as a malevolent planetary deity.
        But the various nAmAvaLis for SanaiScara do praise
        and eulogise him with benevolent qualities. So in
        addition to names describing his fierce or malefic
        nature, we can also find many many names which give
        him benevolent attributes.
                As such, it should be varadha+abhaya+hastAya.
        In fact, in iconography, we come across two-armed and
        four-armed forms of SanaiScara. In the four-armed
        form, SanaiScara does have the abhaya and varadha
        mudras.
                The other nAma should also be,
                "bhakta+sangha+mana+abhIsta+phala+dAya"
                So you have to make your adjustments, I suppose:-)

        Regards

        Jayabarathi