Verbal Reflexives

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at FLEVOLAND.XS4ALL.NL
Thu May 28 03:17:55 UTC 1998

Replies to msg 26 May 98: indology at listserv.liv.ac.uk (S. Kalyanaraman)

 kC> hi,
 kC> comparable auxiliaries with reflexive meaningare: kol.ka
 kC> (imperfect ko_) to receive (Malaya_l.am); konu take (Telugu).
 kC> usage: per-ru-k-kon.t.e_n- I received (Tamil);
 kC> telusu-konna_nu I have learnt (Telugu). k.

 kC> ---Deepthi Kumara Henadeerage
 kC> <Kumara.Henadeerage at ANU.EDU.AU> wrote:

> Sinhala has a special verb-verb compound which gives the reflexive
> meaning. In this construction, the verb gannawa 'take' is suffixed to
> the perfect partciple form of a verb.
> For instance, tuwaala_kara+gannawa (hurt+gannawa) means 'hurt
 kC> oneself', while
> tuwala_karanawa 'hurt', without gannawa means 'hurt somebody', but not
> 'hurt oneself'.
>
> I have heard that there are similar constructions in Tamil and Teligu
> (ie. verb+koL construction).

The same goes for Kannada too, and also for Tulu, though in the latter case the verb root for 'take' has lost its initial consonant and therefore its origin is not immediately recognisable.

Robert Zydenbos
zydenbos at flevoland.xs4all.nl