Inscriptions and Dravidian sound changes "y" > "c" and "y" >

S. Kalyanaraman kalyan97 at YAHOO.COM
Sun May 24 22:20:19 UTC 1998

---Palaniappa <Palaniappa at AOL.COM> wrote:

> The placement of DEDR 5259 Ta. vayiRu belly with an implied *-y-
seems to be
> correct even though Kannada has basiR. Colloquial Tamil has forms
like vakuRu,
> vavuRu, but no vacuRu.

DEDR places Tamil lexemes first, irrespective of whether they
represent the proto-D forms or not. It is however emphasised that this
does not mean that Tamil
phonemes represent the proto-D.

Re: Semant. 'belly', how do we explain the following?
'Borrowing' to and fro seems to be the bon mot.

kucam < kuca woman's breast (Pa_rata. Campava. 55); kuyam woman's
breast (Tan-ippa_. ii,75,190)(Ta.lex.) koch, kochi lap, lower part of
bosom where babies are carried or dandled (K.); kukhi slender part of
the body below the ribs; kuchir. hip (S.); kukh side between hip and
ribs; kucchir. carrying a child astride the hip; kuchur. lap (L.);
kukkh belly, side of belly, womb (P.);ku_kh hips (H.); belly (Marw.);
belly, womb, side below ribs, armpit (G.)(CDIAL 3213).kon:ka woman's
breast (Ma.); kangur.i nipple, teat (Kui)(DEDR 2038).

Regards,
K.
==
34315 Eucalyptus Terrace, Fremont, CA 94555, USA.
http://www.probys.com/sarasvati
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/ch1208a.htm
http://members.tripod.com/~navagraha
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Delta/2875(Cosmic Dancer Shiva-Nataraja)