Sarasvati (texts & arch.II)

S. Kalyanaraman kalyan97 at YAHOO.COM
Sun May 24 17:16:06 UTC 1998

Hi,
I am fascinated by and agree with Sarma's views.

I have been brought up right from grade 1 to college level in
Penukonda, Anantapure district, studying in Telugu medium. It is a
strong tradition in Andhra to call place names ending with -samudram
any town supported by a lake. Even in Penukonda (which was the second
capital of the Vijayanagara kingdom with a fort and all that) at the
foothills of the mountain, 5 miles from the town, is a lake called
samudram which served the drinking water needs of the entire town. As
in Rajasthan, so in Penukonda, I had a routine chore to help my mother
by carrying on my shoulder pots of drinking water walking 5 miles to
the samudram. The point is: samudram is not necessarily a salty ocean.

[Aside; a joke: I have often wondered if a popular etymology may be
suggested! sa-mudra; were the ancestors of these people near the
samudra's using seals?]

How do the texts differentiate between samudra and sa_gara?

Regards,
K.

---DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA <narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN> wrote:

> In Andhra Pradesh there is a tradition of calling natural as well as
> manmade large irrigational lakes as 'samudram'. Examples are
>
> 1. Chilka Samudram
> 2. Tippa  Samudram
> 3. Anatasagaram
> 5. Pillalamarri Samudram
> 6. Chounda Samudram
> 7. Eraka Samudram
> 8. Nama Samudram
> 9. Bacha Samudram
> 10. Ganapa Samudram
> 11. Prola Samudram
> 12 Tamma Samudram
> 13. Udayaditya Samudram
>
> But this does not prove anything because we do not know whether
such> tradition of calling lkakes as 'samudram' existed in the RV times.

==
34315 Eucalyptus Terrace, Fremont, CA 94555, USA.
http://www.probys.com/sarasvati
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/ch1208a.htm
http://members.tripod.com/~navagraha
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Delta/2875(Cosmic Dancer Shiva-Nataraja)