prayojana of treatises

Kengo Harimoto kharimot at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Thu May 21 02:45:03 UTC 1998

> The quotation mentioned first by Devarakonda Sarma does not
> appear to be found in the "Slokavaartika.

and

> Though I have trashed the message, I hope I recall correctly that the text
> in question here is: prayojanamanuddiZya na mandopi pravartate. This is
> indeed ZlokavArttika, sambandhAkSepaparihAra vs. 55ab.

Also see "Slokavaarttika Pratij~naasuutra 11--25.  Kumaarila seems to
be convinced that a "saastra needs to express prayojana and sa.mbandha
at the beginning.  And how about consulting the beginning of the
Nyaayabhaa.sya and the Nyaayavaarttika.  Although they do not
explicitly say that a "saastra needs to state prayojana and sa.mbandha
at the beginning, they discuss the prayojana of the
"saastra/pramaa.na.

Oh by the way, a commentary (Vivara.na) on the Yogabhaa.sya ascribed
to "Sa"nkara takes it granted that a "saastra needs prayojana and
sa.mbandha and that they have to be explicitly stated.  There is a
good deal of discussion at the very beginning of the text.

-- kengo