Proposed changes to Velthuis Devanagari fonts.

John Smith jds10 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Mon May 18 13:42:32 UTC 1998

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Gerard Huet wrote:

> Hello. While we are discussing changes to Velthuis Devanagari fonts,
> I encountered problems with certain ligatures, whose horizontal space must
> be somehow wrongly computed; it concerns kt, kl, ~nc, ~nj, j~n and ky.
> Whenever such combination letters appear, TeX justification and alignments
> are wrongly computed. This must be due to some mistake in the Metafont tables
> describing devnag, and some expertise is needed there in order to fix the
> problem. I have not tried the Wilkner variant on this problem, and I
> imported the Velthuis package a long time ago, so I am wondering whether
> anyone corrected or knows how to correct the bug.
> Regards,
> Gerard Huet

I have been using Velthuis for about ten years, and I have never
encountered a problem with these characters. I suspect the problem must be
local to your setup. A good start would presumably be to download and
install the current "new" version of the package that Anshuman has put up
on CTAN.

John Smith

Dr J. D. Smith                *  jds10 at cam.ac.uk
Faculty of Oriental Studies   *  Tel. 01223 335140 (Switchboard 01223 335106)
Sidgwick Avenue               *  Fax  01223 335110
Cambridge CB3 9DA             *  http://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/index.html