Kannada vacanas

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Wed May 13 05:27:03 UTC 1998

> Replies to msg 11 May 98: indology at listserv.liv.ac.uk (DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA)
>
> >Earlier N. Ganesan wrote
> ><<There was a suggestion that kuuDala is the place name and
> >sangamesvara refers to the God's name.kuuDala samngama is a place name.
> >How do we know this?There were two Chola era prabandhams of war, now
> >lost except for a few verses and their names occur in medieval
> >commentaries.The 10th century paraNi prabandhams are called [...]
>
>  nVNI> This does not explain the occurance of name saGgamezwara
>  nVNI> without the addition of kUDala. A more rational hypothesis
>  nVNI> will be to assume that ordinary people who did not
>  nVNI> understand that sangama = kUDala started calling
>  nVNI> saGgamEZwara as kUDala saGgamEzwara. In Andhra people are
>  nVNI> named as saGgamEzwara. For example the great vaiNika
>  nVNI> TumurADa SaGgamEzwara sAstri. Thus the gods name as
>  nVNI> saGgamEZwara is prevelent in Andhra.
>
> Maybe it is not out of place here to mention that Basava's a:nkita is not "kuu.dalasa:ngamee;svara",
> as a few list members have been writing, but
>"kuu.dalasa:ngamadeeva". :-) (The meaning may not
> differ much, but I think that we ought to get such details right)
> "Kuu.dalasa:ngama" is of course a hybrid tautological name. As has been pointed out earlier,
> it _is_ topographical (and there are Kannada sources for finding out
>that, so we don't need Tamil sources ......
> Robert Zydenbos
> zydenbos at flevoland.xs4all.nl

I differ with Robert Zydenbos for the following reasons

1. The existence of two words kUDalasangadEva and kappaDi sangadEva
clearly shows that kUDala and KappaDi are adjectives qualifying the
noun sangadEva.

2. The great bilingual virasaiva poet pAlakuriki sOmanAtha who has
written   the epic basavapurANa based on the life of basavEswara
uses the the word sanga as the name of the god. I am quoting from
trlugu version from memory

        OdakumOdaku mOrOri sanga!
        ODakumODAku monDuyu nolla

Hey you sanga! Do not run! Do not run!
Do not run! I want nothing from you!

Unless there was a stromg virasaiva tradition of treating
the word sanga as a noun and a name of the god,
sOmanAtha would not have written like that.
If there is some body on the list who has the
kannaDa version of bbasavapurANa I will be very happy
if they check there.

regards,

sarma.