Kannada vacanas

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Mon May 11 16:04:30 UTC 1998

At 08:46 AM 5/11/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Earlier N. Ganesan wrote
><<There was a suggestion that kuuDala is the place name and
>sangamesvara refers to the God's name.kuuDala samngama is a place name.
>How do we know this?There were two Chola era prabandhams of war, now
>lost except for a few verses and their names occur in medieval
>commentaries.The 10th century paraNi prabandhams are called
>1) koppattup paraNi and 2) kuuDala sangamattup paraNi.
>Hence, koppam and kuuDala sangamam will refer to place names.
>AND, kuuDala sangamam is hybrid name.This may very well be the case of
>BelgAm too.>>

This does not explain the occurance of name saGgamezwara without
the addition of kUDala. A more rational hypothesis will be to
assume that ordinary people who did not understand that sangama =
kUDala started calling saGgamEZwara as kUDala saGgamEzwara. In Andhra
people are named as saGgamEzwara. For example the great vaiNika
TumurADa SaGgamEzwara sAstri. Thus the gods name as saGgamEZwara
is prevelent in Andhra.

regards,

sarma.