Horses

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Fri May 8 18:27:35 UTC 1998

At 11:10 AM 5/8/98 +0200, you wrote:

>        I'd like to take advantage of this return of the elephant to ask
>again if the elephant is renowned in Indian tradition for a specially high
>sexual power. I'm particularly interested by the ability to have many
>intercourses. Not only reality but also litterary, or even popular,
>metaphors would be useful to me.
>        Regards,
>Dominique
>
>Dominique THILLAUD
>Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France

As far as I know there is no reference in sanskrit literature for
specially high sexual powers of elephants. Horse is  slightly connected
with sexual power. Aphrodisiacs are known as 'vAjIkaraNa auSadha'. But I
suspect that it is the untiring capacity to gallop of a horse that is
linked with the sexual activity of men rather than the actual sexual
prowess of horses.

The word vAjIkaraNa can be interpreted another way also. That which gives
men the capacity for men to ride women as though they are horses. Anology
between sexual intercourse and horse rinding is ancient and pancultural.

regards,

sarma.