Humans, animals and plants

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian ramakris at EROLS.COM
Sat Mar 28 01:07:48 UTC 1998

N. Ganesan wrote:

> Any references on Siva in a historical perspective
> that I must read. Suggestions welcome.

Vedic Rudra-Siva, by Doris M. Srinivasan. JAOS 103.3 (1983) pp. 543-556.

Rudra from the vedas to the Mahabharata, Sukumari Bhattacharji, ABORI,
Vol 41-43, pp. 85-128.

References from these would be a good starting point. The classical
reference is

Sivaism and Vishunism, by Jan Gonda

though the references here are a bit dated. You could also try

Medeival Religious Literature in Sanskrit, by Jan Gonda, Chapters I, X,
XI, XII, XIII for some general material about North Indian Saivism.

A book which I haven't read yet is Vaishnavism, Saivism and minor
religious systems, by Sir R. G. Bhandarkar. Of course the references
here must be pretty old also.

Rama.