Buddhist question

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Mon Mar 16 18:36:47 UTC 1998

Dear Indologists,
        Does anyone know of biographical or other information about a
Burmese Buddhist monk named Thaton Mingun Jetavan Sayadaw?  He is also
known by the name U Narada, and was a preceptor of the famous Burmese
meditation teacher Mahasi Sayadaw.  Jetavan Sayadaw passed away in 1955.
This monk is briefly mentioned by Nyanaponika in his Heart of Buddhist
Meditation, but I do not find any further information about him.  This
monk wrote a Pali commentary on Milindapanha which was published in 1949.
It became immediately controversial because of some of his suggestions for
reforms and was banned and destroyed.  A copy of this commentary was given
to Late Professor P.V. Bapat in 1952 during his visit to Burma.  In 1968,
Bapat gave me this Pali commentary (in Burmese script) and asked me to
transcribe it.  Many years ago, I completed the roman transcription of
this commentary and I am now working on a brief introduction, before the
work is published.  A student of mine, Patrick Pranke, mentioned to me
that there are hagiographies of this and other monks in Burmese.  But is
there any such material in a western language?  I would appreciate any
help from our Buddhism pros on the net.
                                                Madhav Deshpande